I'm moving my updates to a different blog, http://www.farah-faisal.blogspot.com, since it's an easier address to remember and spell. It's been a great ride updating this blog, hope you'll follow me on to the next chapter!

Monday, June 21, 2004

Assalmu'alaikum...

Yeah, so I haven't penned in for quite a few days now, not that anybody's been reading (which is a good thing, because aside from some personal friends I love and I know won't bitch about me behind my back, I don't really want people reading this stuff anyway).

Today and for the rest of my working girl duration, I'll be working everyday from 11am to 4pm, 9 to 3pm on Fridays. That's almost like a full time job. People would think that since I basically do nothing except answer phones and give directions to people who managed to get themselves lost be it in the building or anywhere around North Campus, it's an easy job and I shouldn't be tired. But I am. Which got me to thinking that either there's something wrong with me, or my general perception abot jobs is completely bogus. A job is a job, be it sitting on a chair and running errands and typing, or driving a truck across state borders or diving for pearls in the ocean. At the end of the day, it still saps your strength, just that my job saps less strength than Mr. Trucker guy so after a little nap I'm all fresh again... barely.

Today I also got an email from my travel agent about sending him payments for my plane tickets. I made my cashiers check, and Deera and I are gonna post payments tomorrow. Hopefully those tickets arrive on time or I'm gonna be reaaaaallly mad.I've bought presents and stuff for my family and friends, it would be so much a waste if I can't go home. Plus that would mean missing out on meeting my darling niece, and that would NOT be such a good thing.

Now, you know you gotta expand your horizons when you situations like this happens to you:

Situation 1: At the bank...
Teller 1: How may I help you?
Me: I would like to make a cashiers check please for (amount)
Teller waaaay at end of table: Are you going back to Malaysia? Because I made a couple of checks for Malaysian students

Situation 2: In the International Center office...
Me: Hi, I'd like to get my I-20 signed
Woman:(without even LOOKING at my I-20) Ahh, making a trip back to Malaysia too, right?
I looked on the pile beside her table, the box was filled with Malaysian I-20s

Situation 3: In the office ...
My bosses talked about different building managers and set-up crew, and I knew every single name they mentioned. My boss talked to me about going home, and said boss knows about remote cities in Malaysia. Random people come into the office and the line is "This is Farah, our Clerk D and another Malaysian".

Situation 4: Jerusalem
Guy at the counter knows every single Malaysian girls, even if he doesn't know their names. How do I know this? His favorite line is "Oh, your friend is here shopping too" and lo and behold, there a Malaysian girl would stand.

I know all of us live in the same community and stuff, but this is freakin' ridiculous. All of this (except Situation 4, that happens all year round) happened in the span of three weeks. It's just so freaky, I'm not exactly sure if I like it or not when people identify me first by my nationality and then by me. Does this make sense? Oh well...

I'm going to watch Harry Potter tomorrow, yay! Heheh.. so it's kinda late, so what? I've been a busy girl lately, what with work and stuff, plus I didn't want to spend extreme amounts of money before I pay my travel agent. Now that I know what I have left (I have a couple of paychecks coming still, so I'm in a pretty good position), I can budget accordingly :) .

Okay, I'm gonna go pray and play Theme Hospital now, bubbye and wassalam....



No comments: