I'm moving my updates to a different blog, http://www.farah-faisal.blogspot.com, since it's an easier address to remember and spell. It's been a great ride updating this blog, hope you'll follow me on to the next chapter!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Asssalamu'alaikum....

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh.... I feel so blessed right now, you have no idea. I got through to the second of interviews! Oh yay! I have to call back Menlo Innovations (in good ol' Ann Arbor), ESPN (in Baltimore), I have an interview with Jewelry TV this Friday (dunno where this is gonna be yet, but I like TV and bling bling is always good), and Microsoft wants me to come down to Redmond, WA (sometime at the end of April, hopefully, after the exams are done and over with). I'm overwhelmed and excited and very, very scared. I usually botch up my interviews so bad that I never get through to the second round, so this is an improvement, definitely. Now I have to hope and pray and work really hard so that I don't mess up my finals... or pass out during interviews.

My friends ask me if I wanted to intern locally or go out of state. As much as Ann Arbor can be a boring town at times, I've been here long enough to figure out ways to entertain myself during the summer. Plus I get to live in my new apartment for the summer, which would be nice. On the other hand, I haven;t been able to see a lot of the rest of the US, so a change of scenery would be nice. Plus ESPN and Microsoft are HUGE corporations, and I've always wanted to see how large corporations work, see if my skills can really thrive in an MNC. Most of all, I'm just excited to dip my toes in the working pool, so to speak. See if all these years in school paid off or if the workplace really is the place where you develop most of your skills.

Here's a little tip for phone interviews.... for God's sakes calm down, just because he can't see you doesn't mean you can't seem nervous. However, BECAUSE he can't see you, you can splay your portfolio and cheat sheets and past projects all over the floor so that you have easy reference. Here's something I learned from the ESPN interview (the hard way... I sounded like a moron on the phone)... brush up on past projects, especially if it's been a while (like 2 years), and when I say brush up, focus on what YOU did on the project as well as the overall goal (like which part did you do, how much you contributed, how did the codes mesh together.. stuff like that). Trust me on this one.

I'm so sleepy, and someone just said something kinda mean to me.. I know he probably didn't mean it the way it came out, but it still sucks all the same. What the hell ?

Nik, did you call me? The voice mail was pretty bad, I had no idea what you said.

No comments: