I'm moving my updates to a different blog, http://www.farah-faisal.blogspot.com, since it's an easier address to remember and spell. It's been a great ride updating this blog, hope you'll follow me on to the next chapter!

Thursday, November 11, 2004

MY CLASS WITH PROFESSOR TURNER ... AND OTHER STUFF HAPPENING UP TILL NOW

Assalamu'alaikum.....

"Okay, time to take your stinking quiz."

If that's the first sentence you hear from a professor in class, you know you;re not dealing with your everyday professor. Which, come to think of it, was literally the case for me. He's not my everyday professor, my professor (that's what I call him, even though technically he's not) is currently out of town on a convention. What we have here today, people, is the guy/very-cool-prof who taught this class last semester. And what a character he is.

I am used to coming to class, taking notes and being bored out of my mind. Don't get me wrong, Johnson certainly knows his stuff, but he can hold the attention of the class only for about as long as I can keep a diet (translated: not very long at all). And he's probably the master of all arcane AutoCad commands. Watching him manuever commands on that big screen up in the sky can be painfull, especially when he accidentally clicked on a button, didn't realize it, and started troubleshooting for about 10 minutes (when it could have been solved in 10 seconds had anyone was willing to speak up). Granted, like I said, he certainly knows his stuff, and he's always willing to help you at any time of the day provided he hasn't gone home yet. If he has, the you're pretty much a moron because he's in his office until 6 pm, what the heck are you thinking, trying to disturb the guy when he's having his dinner? Ahh, but I digress....

Today, Johnson isn't here. He's out, goodness knows where. Don't wanna know, don't really care. Instead, today we have Turner. Professor Turner, who goes to school here at the good ol' U of M in the 1970s, got kicked out, then somehow miraculously got back in again. And now he's a professor here. In the land where Bush is legally elected president and there's a Chinatown in every major cities, anything is possible, I guess. Turner talks really fast, and is really funny. So what if you barely managed to take notes because he was talking so fast? He's talking about an old guy snorting lead for fun, for goodness sakes. Groovey, baby. Turner = really cool guy.

So after class, it's off to work, la dee dah. As usual, I'm over worked and under paid, but that's okay. Then off to gamelan class. I then conveniently managed to cut myself in class, and barely managed to keep my finger from bleeding on the carpet. The cut was small, but deep, thank goodness Ayun had tissues handy. Why convenient? Because I have my guitar class right after. I could barely extend my pinky, let alone press strings using it. So today I can't go, which I'm not too sad about because I'm feeling sluggish today.

I went home, watched the O.C, checked my emails and suddenly found myself with a full weekend. Full as in tomorrow, I'm going to the comedy club with the Phi Rho girls and Dennis, and Saturday, to the Northwestern game, the last home game of the season. So I'm all set. Now, if I can find some time to get my pesky homeworks done in between those... and I do have a lot to get done....

Wassalam..

p/s: enjoy the new song

No comments: