I'm moving my updates to a different blog, http://www.farah-faisal.blogspot.com, since it's an easier address to remember and spell. It's been a great ride updating this blog, hope you'll follow me on to the next chapter!

Friday, April 23, 2004

Assalamu'alaikum and Hello!.......

Okay, I'm at work right now and everything is surprisingly slow. I was expecting the office to be flooded with activities since today is the second day of the Stress Buster program. Stress Buster is this program that me and a few other people had been working for the past few weeks. What we do was to design some arts and crafts activities for people to do while taking a break from studying for finals. Plus we're giving away Stress Kits that has coupons, a Blue Book and stress-busting toys in them.

Yesterday, the office started off the program over in Bursley Hall, where they had a booth that people can come over to pick up their Stress Kits and to decorate a flower pot and make their own flowers. When Katharine first came up with the idea, I couldn't imagine it, but on Tuesday I helped make a few samples for display and the pots and flowers were actually kinda cute. I felt like a little kid again. Unfortunately, I couldn't come to the real deal yesterday at Bursley because of a sorority spa night, which brings me to the second part of my oh-so-eventful life.

Yesterday was Phi Rho's spa night. We went to try out (and buy) new products from Mary Kay (that's the brand) and do some manicures and pedicures in the process. The real story isn't about the spa night itself, but about what happens before that.

So yesterday I had a teeny weeny craving for biryani rice, but looking at my current bank account statement, I can barely afford to go out and smell biryani at a restaurant, let alone buy one. So I, being the resourceful individual that I am, decided to cook, and since it's never fun to eat biryani rice alone, I decided to make 2, 3 batches of it so I can share around (it's always nice to share, isn't it?)

So at 5.10 pm, I had just finished putting the first batch into the rice cooker, and was heating up the gravy for the second batch, when Tina called and said "So yeah, meet me out front in 5 minutes to go to Melody's house" (Melody is the Mary Kay lady). So I turned off my stove (or so I thought), leave my rice cooker on "heat", and went out the door, not expecting that it would run up to 9.30 pm.

I was having fun at Melody's house, trying out new stuff and buying things, but in the back of my head, I was counting the minutes until we can go home so I don't leave whatever guests that I had already invited starving to death. We left at 8.45, making good time for me to arrive back home by 9, when suddenly everyone had a craving for Slurpees. So we stopped at 7 Eleven (I got a jumbo humongous Slurpee myself), and I ended up arriving home at 9.30 pm. I told Dee that the latest I was gonna be was 8.30. This is an hour later than that.

I walked through my door, smelled the biryani and felt kinda weird, it wasn't supposed to smell that strong. I looked into the pot and all of the gravy was gone! Holy shit! I looked at the stove, and realized I didn't completely turn it off, it was set on low, but after4 hours, things do tend to evaporate from the pot. Luckily enough, there was enough meat and veggie to salvage, but no gravy to make the seocnd batch.

The first one turned out okay (the color was really pretty, though it was a bit soft, but hey, I'll do better next time), so I had over the few people that I had originally invited, plus a few others that just happened to come across my path for that night (it was all according to luck kinda thing). Oh, i didn't sleep, too, until 7 am, I was too wired for some reason.

So that was my eventful day. I bought a body mist from Mary Kay called Embrace Harmony. The smell is so, so good. I always feel really protective of my perfume because it's really expensive (I love my VS Heavenly perfume, but it costs me an arm and a leg to buy one), so I don't wear it that much, but the body spray is only 18 bucks, and it smells really, really good. Love it! there's a story behind it, too, but we'll leave it for next time :) ....

GOOD LUCK FOR FINALS, WOLVERINES!!!!

Wassalam...

No comments: