I'm moving my updates to a different blog, http://www.farah-faisal.blogspot.com, since it's an easier address to remember and spell. It's been a great ride updating this blog, hope you'll follow me on to the next chapter!

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Craziness on the bus

Every morning I take the 550 bus to work (unless I'm working from
home). Usually the morning commute is pretty uneventful, but today we
are joined by two Chinese ladies speaking rapid Cantonese and
apparently not a lick of English except "sorry" and "thank you".
Within a space of seconds they manage to accost two seats from two
unsuspecting people who didn't know what to make of the constant
chatter and the inability to hold on to the bus rails (really the
ladies weren't that old).

One they got to their stop, the bus card they were using was not
working. Cue anouther 5 mins of excited chatter probably consisting of
"crap, card isn't working, how are we going to pay?". The bus driver
patiently tried to explain the fare, though after a while he waved the
ladies off the bus so that the rest of us can actually get to work.

For a second there I felt a twinge of jealousy of the old ladies. I
don't know know if they were visiting or actually living here, buy it
takes some balls to be somewhere where you don't speak their language
and you're lacking a common means of communication.

Maybe one day I can learn to be brave and do brave things.

1 comment:

aloya said...

it's pathetic for any citizen who cannot speak their own country national language..Remember Malaysia?? lol