I'm moving my updates to a different blog, http://www.farah-faisal.blogspot.com, since it's an easier address to remember and spell. It's been a great ride updating this blog, hope you'll follow me on to the next chapter!

Friday, February 18, 2005

http://adam-de-angeli.org/jobs.html

To those living in AA, bacelah article pasal tempat makan kat Ann Arbor nie. Ewwww... seb baik tak penah beli pizza kat "tempat itu". And Good Time Charley's rocks! Sape nak ikut, besok I'm going with a couple of people nak makan kat situ, kol 8 malam (screw NCRB, I wanna my cheese sticks!)

Excerpts from the website:

Main St. Party Shoppe
201 N. Main St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Joey, Store Manager Pay rate: $7 /hr
From: August 2002 (734) 769-1515 Duties: Make pizza, stock store
To: October 2002 Title: Chef/Stocker Reason for leaving: health code violation (see below)

This was another menial job I took for side cash between classes. The place wanted me to show them how to make good pizza, because they couldn't do it. I soon discovered they were cooking their pizza at half the necessary heat for twice the usual time, and corrected the problem. Everything was fine until one day the owner, a cigar-puffing alcoholic, pulled old slices of pizza that I'd discarded out of the trash, took a taste, and informed me that the slices were perfectly good. He proceeded to return the pizza to the warmer, to serve to customers. Furthermore, he informed me that he would "cut my balls off" if I threw out good food again (these slices were three hours old). I told him I wouldn't put up with this abuse for 7 dollars an hour, and he was lucky I didn't call the health department immediately. And that was that.

Mr. Pizza
1200 Packard, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Mike Howard, General Manager Pay rate: $5.15 /hr + tips + mileage
From: June 2001 (734) 995-4040 Duties: Deliver pizza and place phone orders
To: September 2001 Title: Driver Reason for leaving: (see below)

Mr. Pizza was an average gig; the money wasn't great but I kept the job. Then shortly after the September 11 attacks, I caught my boss and an in-shop guy talking about somehow tampering with someone's pizza--someone whose only crime was being named Mohammed. I never found out if anything actually happened, but I decided I would have nothing more to do with the company and promptly quit.

Good Time Charley's
1140 S. University, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Jason Yonkin, Kitchen Manager Pay rate: $9.25 /hr
From: January 2000 (734) 668-8411 Duties: Line cook (cook and clean)
To: January 2001 Title: Cook Reason for leaving: university conflicts

This was the most difficult restaurant gig I've had. Charley's ran the most efficient kitchen I've ever seen; only five cooks were ever needed for a restaurant that seats almost 200 people. We had three 15-tops on an average night. This was fine; in fact I liked the responsibility. But eventually, my course requirements became so difficult that I had to put academic priorities first. Resolving my school and work schedules was almost impossible; I wasn't able to get any shifts besides those I already had, so I could only drop shifts. Additionally, the restaurant shifted its policy of cook nationality over the course of my employment, and by the time I left, I was the only American cook in the restaurant. Today there are none. I can work with foreigners, but to be the only person (in a basement kitchen) capable of speaking with front-of-the-house employees made me feel that I was being neglected some credit. Although there was a kitchen manager, he was seldom present; hence I was managing a kitchen for the old line cook pay. This didn't seem reasonable, as kitchen supervision at a large and busy restaurant is a demanding job. I left in pursuit of a company where my talents would be better rewarded.


End of excerpt :) . Today I'm eating like a piggy 'cause I wanna (feeling slightly emotional. Just a wee bit. Heheh.) My willpower ain't that strong baybee. Girls can't live on salad and soup alone (especially sumber buat salad ngan sup dah habes. Aiseh)

Elly, ko kawen bile?

Wassalam...

No comments: